Thursday, June 4, 2009

Balls To The Wall- John Baldessari

The Daily Beast ran a piece yesterday on 78 year old conceptual artist and "the dean of California Cool School", John Baldessari. This weekend he will receive a Golden Lion award at the Venice Biennale for lifetime achievement. I have to confess that I haven't seen too much of his work around lately and I'd forgotten how fun and great it is. Often made of dated, anonymous, photographs, that have been altered, "mashed" and rearranged with face obliterating colorful balls, it's like stumbling across a hallucinatory, technicolor, beach party that makes no obvious sense but you are very glad to be there.








Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love his book, "National City."
If you've ever been there, you'll know what a genius he is to have created this book.
Interesting blog - I'm surprised by your commentary.

Evan Sklar said...

Surprised? What do you mean?