Monday, June 29, 2009

Mama Clouds

We had some pretty unique weather here in New York on Friday evening. What started off as a typical, humid, summer evening storm morphed into one of the most fantastic skies I've ever seen. I did a quick Google search and learned myself a bit about the "Mama Clouds" that were overhead. According to Wikipedia "Mammatus is a meteorological term applied to a cellular pattern of pouches hanging underneath the base of a cloud. The name "mammatus" is derived from the Latin mamma (udder), due to the clouds' characteristic shape. Mammatus, or "Mama" Clouds, are often indicative of a particularly strong storm or maybe even a tornadic storm." I readied myself for a tornado but had to settle instead for a couple of drinks and a few random thoughts about the "Wizzard of Oz" which I had just seen, for the 30th time, the day before.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: